Role Description: Finance Officer
Contract type: Paid, part time (20 hours/week for 3 days a week)
Start date: Immediate
Location: Central Athens
Duration: 6 months (1 month probationary period)
About Chamomile Housing Project:
Chamomile is an Athens-based organisation that provides holistic supportive accommodation and social support to previously homeless displaced people (refugees, asylum seekers, migrants) with psychosocial challenges with the final aim of independent living for all beneficiaries.
Our beneficiaries live in individual apartments that are supported monetarily and psychosocially by the project. At this time we have a total of 11 apartments and 15 people in the project. In our project, the beneficiaries are given education and tools to find, obtain and maintain an apartment in Athens. The beneficiaries are also supported to work on their psychosocial growth based on their needs and desires. It is our ultimate goal for the beneficiaires to exit the project with the ability to remain in the apartment they found and be connected to networks that foster psychosocial growth and development.
About Mazí Housing Project:
Mazí Housing Project exists to provide safe, stable housing to young displaced men who are homeless in Athens. We support this group because they are otherwise at the bottom of the list for housing and other basic services. Mazí is a program of material and social support designed around each resident to build the best foundation for themself in their situation. We opened a first apartment in 2019 and another in 2020 and currently house 17 residents.
About the position:
Chamomile/Mazí is looking for a dedicated, patient, passionate, proactive and self-initiated person that is able to support the financial implementation of our programs. The Finance Officer will provide support in the financial management of both organisations, including payroll, budgeting, reporting, as well as the compilation of required documentation. S/he will participate in relevant coordination forums, working groups and meetings, as relevant. The position is part time.
The Finance Officer will be in charge of
- Accountancy-related tasks on ERGANI
The Finance Officer is responsible for doing processes and cross-checks the bank accounts to ensure they are inclusive and accurate, s/he is responsible for the collection of all necessary data for tax obligations and for the registration of employees’ data in Ergani. You will not be responsible for the integration of expenses in the Chamomile internal system. To be more specific:
- Register new personnel hirings, change personnel hours, issue monthly salaries etc.
- Registration of expenses and invoices
- Assist with the book-keeping of expenses and bank transactions
- Analyse and explain variances between forecasts, budget, and actual spent or/and unspent amounts
- Make sure the team is updated with current regulations about the workspace and personnel during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Monitor closely our Grant Contract Requirements
- Support organisation-wide donors’ budgeting and financial reporting through review of donor financial documents
- Liaise with the donors in general when communication in Greek is needed
- Inform existing and new staff on procedures, making sure that they are understood and adhered to according to each donor’s requirements, also keeping everyone updated on any changes to these.
- Submit Financial Reporting documentation whenever requested by Project Guidelines
Support with Greek Bureaucracy
- Inform and support the team with basic bureaucratic matters such as issuing AFM or AMA
- Provide our international team with information about accountancy and tax requirements of the Greek system
Involvement in the team
- Join weekly team meetings with the Project Coordinator
- Join team meeting regarding the financial planning of our current projects
Degree in Economics, Accounting, Management or at least 2 years of equivalent experience in the field
Fluency in Greek and English
Proficient user of Accountancy software’s (eg. Singular)
Genuine interest in the humanitarian/ NGO field and in refugees and migrants rights; prior work NGO experience or volunteer work will be appreciated but not necessary
Three days per week
Ability to do part of the work remotely
Commitment to principles of confidentiality and data protection
Acceptance of and sensitivity to cultural differences
The ability to work in a multicultural team
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Proactive, willing to take initiative and work with minimum supervision
Understanding of the current situation for displaced people in Athens
Quality & Results Orientation
Who will you work with?
You will work with the Project Coordinator and will have regular meetings with the advisory board.
How to Apply:
Please send us your curriculum vitae in English to the following email address by 22nd June (inclusive) and include whether you have AFM, AMKA/PAAYPA:
Chamomile and Mazí are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment and provide equal employment opportunities without regard to ethnicity, religion, age, nationality, gender or sexual orientation.
GDPR note: Your personal data will be retained by Chamomile/Mazí as long as it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment, will be treated in confidentiality, and will be deleted after that.